Monday, April 29, 2013

Journal #37: Listening to "Blue Monk"


Imagery can not only be seen in literary works such as poems, but it also exists in songs, even songs that do not contain any lyrics.  The tone of the song can help create an emotional feeling and bring about an overall picture of some event in a listener's mind.  These pictures can vary for different people as each person has a unique imagination and perhaps experiences which might somehow connect with the imagery.  While listening to the song called Blue Monk, I pictured the spring, summer, and fall seasons.  I could see my family outside in the spring plowing the ground and planting seeds.  The rainstorms and summer static lightning were clearly seen as well.  I would go outside during the rainstorms and the heavy winds to be outside and enjoy the weather.  Occasionally I might try to catch a as many raindrops on my tongue as I could.  The grass turned a vivid green and the trees and flowers began to bloom.  It was so beautiful and I wanted to spend all of my time outside.  I envisioned myself dropping the seeds for corn in the big field and almost passing out in the heat from being outside for too long, as I had apparently waited too long to begin planting.  The corn finally began to grow, and before long it was taller than I was.  I would go outside and practice archery, hoping that I did not overshoot my target and loose the arrow forever in the corn field or even worse, bury it under the ground.  Then, I saw my mom spraying the fruit trees to kill unwanted Japanese beetles.  I went to pick the ripe vegetables and berries in the garden, and my dad was outside cutting the grass.  The chickens were there too.  To alert that they were out of food, they would bock and then follow me all the way from the back door of the house out to the chicken coup like the Israelites followed Moses.  The last image that I saw was of the leaves changing colors in the fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment