Monday, April 29, 2013

Journal #38: Job Shadowing


Last week, I had the privilege of being able to job shadow at the State's Attorney’s Office, which is located inside the Sangamon County Courthouse building.  I really enjoyed the experience.  Everyone that I met was very welcoming and open to talk about what their career is like.  For the most part, I followed one attorney around to different office and court rooms.  She and a few other attorneys explained the process of a court trial and tried their best to elaborate on the proceedings.  I was able to sit-in for preliminaries, traffic court, felonies, and other events taking place.  One lawyer working on a DUI case explained the case to me and another student who was job shadowing from the same high school.  He showed us the evidence in the form of a video and afterwards asked us if the defendant would be found guilty or innocent.  We both thought that the evidence was substantial enough that the verdict would come back guilty, and we were surprised when he said that in DUI cases, the jury often decides that the defendant is not guilty, despite contradictory evidence, because they do not see those individuals as criminals.  Something else that I found interesting was being given the chance to get to talk to a few judges.  I am glad that I was able to participate in this activity and I feel that I have learned a bit more than I had known before about what it is like to be an attorney.  I still cannot say for certain if that is the career that I would like to pursue, however, since a large part of an attorney’s typical day often includes large amounts of paperwork and reports.  I did not get to see this part because it was deemed too boring, so instead I was able to watch other functions that litigators might perform, such as at prelims.  One thing that I do like about attorneys is that do their best to ensure that justice is done.  Without them, it would be a much harder task to defend oneself in court.  I intend on keeping my options open for the future, but I will keep legal studies in mind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment