Sunday, August 19, 2012

Favorite Characters and Favorite Overall Book


Each of the books that I read was special in its own way.  Fahrenheit 451 warned against censorship and the dangers of technology and media taking over society.  Catcher in the Rye elaborated on how out of place teenagers can feel being in-between the child and adult stage of their lives.  The Moon is Down points out that many wars do not have a good and bad side but simply one force against another.  It also shows that the peoples’ will always prevails.  The Old Man and the Sea teaches that when disappointments come, it is important to let them go and to move on to the next day with hope. 
            My favorite character from Fahrenheit 451 was Clarisse.  I love how she was always so cheerful, did not mind being different from everyone else, and would talk to people without being so judgmental.  From Catcher in the Rye, I can sympathize with Holden about the hardships in growing up, but seriously, he takes it to an extreme.  Mayor Orden was a great character in The Moon is Down.  I admire his determination to serve the people and his bravery in the face of certain death.  Then, Manolin from The Old Man and the Sea has got to be one of the sweetest characters that has ever existed in the pages of a book.  His love for the old man, consideration, and willingness to go out of his way to help others is incredible. 
            While all of these books have great messages and characters, I would have to say that I enjoyed Fahrenheit 451 the most.  My favorite book of them, however would probably have to be The Old Man and the Sea.  While it was not the most enjoyable book while reading it, looking back I think that the message and examples shown by the characters are quite remarkable.  I am sure that if I were to read it for a second time it would be even more pleasant than the first.  Of the four I would say that the message of this book applies best to my life, as I am sure it would apply to the lives of countless other individuals as well.  Determination is a good thing and it can get you far in life.  If you stumble, though, do not let it get you down and just keep trying again, learning from your mistakes each time.    

Bradbury, Ray. Fahrenheit 451. New York: Simon and Schuster, 1967. Print.
Hemingway, Ernest. The Old Man and the Sea. New York: Scribner, 1952. Print.
Salinger, J. D. The Catcher in the Rye. Boston: Little, Brown, 1951. Print.
Steinbeck, John. The Moon Is Down. New York: Viking, 1942. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment