Sunday, August 19, 2012

The Old Man and the Sea: Author's Values and Attitudes


The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway, written from a third-person perspective, reveals several values and attitudes belonging to the author.  If Hemingway put any of himself in the story, he probably has a deep respect for life, not just humans but animals as well.  The protagonist, Santiago, made multiple references to the great fish being his “brother” (Hemmingway 22).  He tells the fish, “I love you and respect you very much. But I will kill you dead before this day ends.” (Hemmingway 19)  He later says to the fish, “I am sorry that I went too far out. I ruined us both.” (Hemmingway 43)  Instead of referring to the ocean as el mar or an enemy he refers to it as la mar, meaning he loves it (Hemmingway 10). 
            Hemingway would also appear to value kindness.  When the boy tells him that the supper came from Martin, he said that he would have to show his gratitude by giving Martin some meat from the belly of a fish when he catches one.  Also, when the boy says that he wants to fish with him again, Santiago tells him to stay with the “lucky boat”.  He does not tell the boy, Manolin, this because he does not need his help.  On the contrary, during the time that Santiago went fishing, he wished that Manolin was with him to help at least five times.  This shows that Santiago really does care about the boy and wants the best for him. 
            It would seem that the author also believes in going after something with all of your heart.  He said out loud, “I could not fail myself and die on a fish like this, now that I have him coming so beautifully, God help me endure.” (Hemmingway 32)  He also complained about the dolphin that he caught and said, “What an excellent fish dolphin is to eat cooked, and what a miserable fish raw. I will never go in a boat again without salt or limes.” (Hemmingway 30)  Santiago had to endure several days with little rest, nasty fish, cutting his hands a few times, cramps, and sharks all to catch a fish.  He decided that he was going to catch the marlin and take it to Havana or die trying.  “Fight them,” he said. “I’ll fight them until I die.” (Hemmingway 43)

Hemingway, Ernest. The Old Man and the Sea. New York: Scribner, 1952. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment